Current time: 04-21-2014, 09:39 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

• Bound by bloodshed and deception, the future for both Sundaril and Liston lay in the hands of the two children who sit upon their thrones. . .

July - August, 1047 -- Liston and Sundaril are suffering, bound by the mutual tragedy of both the Inquisition and the Plague. The countries struggle to rebuild, but while they might start out with the same problems, how they solve them reveal who they'll become.

Two centuries of war have culminated to this, their relations growing more tangled with each passing day. Which side shall you choose?
  • STAFF

RIV / REED / OLLIE / TINK

Feel free to PM us with any questions or concerns!

C B O X
Thread Closed 
Somewhere only we know (tag: alys)
Countess Marie Seymour

countess of corly
47 posts
ooc: bella
Somewhere only we know (tag: alys)
21st of August, 1043
The Queen's Chambers
Liston, Europa

They'd been sitting and chattering quietly with the Queen when the news arrived that King Aldrin had died. The air had been heavy around the palace since news of his injury had been delivered, but they had at least been having a pleasant day before the second messenger arrived. She wasn't altogether sure how it had come to be that everyone had dispersed, but they had gone and there was a gap in her memory from the time the messenger had arrived a few minutes ago to now when she sat staring at him as the queen fled and the rest of her ladies had gone off. Marie clutched her sewing in her lap and bit her lip. She stood, short as she was, and curtsied, thanking the messenger for his service and then she was off.

Where her feet were carrying her was irrelevant. They knew their course, but she didn't fully realize it. It was only when she stood at the doors to the Queen's chambers that she'd realized it. The doors were attended by two guards who knew Marie well enough as one of the Queen's ladies-in-waiting, but it didn't help her much. "I've forgotten something--just a piece of sewing--I shan't be a disturbance, I just want to fetch it so I might leave her in peace." It wasn't a complete lie. She'd left her basket of sewing in there earlier. And she would be quiet as well. Unless she was stopped by Her Majesty herself, Marie would leave and swiftly and quietly as she had come.

The other part of her agenda stemmed from wanting to be absolutely sure that the Queen was alright and not hurt or ill. After some desperate pleading and negotiation, they allowed her passage into the lavish chambers. Quietly--noiselessly--she crept to the window and picked up her things, starting back toward the door. She peeped around the edge of a doorframe, just to check on Alys and make sure she hadn't befallen anything terrible.

Marie fully realized her next actions were wrong, but she could not find it in her heart to stop herself. She placed the basket of sewing aside and held her hands before taking a deep breath and stepping further into the room. "Your Majesty...are you...do you need me to fetch someone?" she asked very softly, advancing by another step. "The physician? Or the King, perhaps?" Perhaps the queen did not trust very many people, but Marie had no agenda, not really, anyway. That and she was sympathetic. Marie had been through far too much with her own husband not to be. She could listen for hours and never possessed the amount of ambition that leaking important information required.

In short, if the Queen did need an ear, she guessed hers was the best to be found.

"I just wanted to be sure you were all right...but I will leave you unless you wish it of me to stay," Marie added. She dipped into a small curtsey and stood again, putting enough pause between it and when she took her basket up once again. "If ever you should need anything...you may summon me. I am happy to listen if you wish." And then she realized she might be saying too much. Marie bit the corner of her lip and went back for the door, but not too quickly.

Of all times, this was an opportunity in which most would have sought personal gain. Marie only sought to comfort a dear and beloved friend.
02-27-2012 02:22 AM
Find all posts by this user
Queen Alys Howard

shadow crown
32 posts
ooc: kat
RE: Somewhere only we know (tag: alys)
    Aldrin Seraphin was surely immortal, a god among men if ever there was one. The extended memories contained within her mind had crafted a holy exterior for the man, painting him as the forever-regent of Sundaril. It therefore came as an extreme shock that Aldrin had fallen in joust, his health rapidly deteriorating. But Alys had been hopeful. Her former husband was a resilient man, a Lion that could not easily be taken down by the simple crafts of men. A lance would only damage his pride, not bruise his body quite so horribly as it had ... right? Prayers and fasting served as a token of the Liston Lass's offering towards the Seraphin reign, and all seemed to bespeak a healthy recovery for the King.

News from a messenger declared otherwise. The Lion was dead, succumbed to a horrendous illness derived from his jousting wound. The moment the news came, Alys politely (and rather quietly) excused herself from all company, and took the the quiet reverence of their private chapel. Knelt in penance upon her prie-dieu, she prayed, for hours and hours, tears rolling down her cheeks. Prayers were uttered for the House of Seraphin, for Isabel, for Sundaril, and for all those parties feeling guilt for her former husband's death. She prayed for the safety of Beatrice and her children, for the political realm to remain calm, and for the memory of Aldrin Seraphin to find an honourable place in history. She prayed until words ran dry, and when a cessation of tears occurred, she rose from her posture, and took to her rooms. Not for sadness, but for reverence.

For lack of actual emotional response settling in, Alys sat rigidly in her usual seat, Latin bible before her. Scriptoral passages blended together before her eyes, all merging into one babbling text. She was so entranced by the words that she hardly recognized the entrance of her chief lady-in-waiting, Lady Marie Seymour. It took a moment to register her presence, but when it did click, Alys raised her head slowly, eyes heavy and smile forced upon tight lips. "Lady Seymour. ... " The greeting was her usual, light and cheery, though laden with the hopelessness of the future. She oughtn't to have felt so broken over Aldrin's death, and yet there was an inexplicable sadness distilled over her frame.

"No." Alys answered, surprising herself with the strange repulsion she felt at the idea of seeing anyone else in her sphere. It seemed a time for quiet contemplation, to be alone in her misery. "I would not worry His Majesty with my trifling issues and ... a physician can not cure this hurt. God alone, my Lady Seymour, offers healing to the soul. ... You may stay, if it so pleases you. I have no aversion to your company, and indeed, I welcome it. " Truly, she thought it would be nice to simply have the presence of another so close, when everything seemed so cold and distant. Alys stood up, gently closing her Bible and setting it on it's proper stand, before returning to her seat. "How is the court reacting to the news, Lady Seymour? I would venture out myself to ascertain, though I fear my interpretation would be met with strong bias."
03-05-2012 05:56 AM
Countess Marie Seymour

countess of corly
47 posts
ooc: bella
RE: Somewhere only we know (tag: alys)
    The Queen need not play with facades. And yet...she could understand it perfectly. Why the woman should want to keep an appearance. She'd been there herself, once or twice. The thing of it was, everyone was a guest in the Queen's home. Little privacy was to be found in these walls, sometimes even in her own chamber. Marie would have been uncomfortable if Corly hosted the entire populace of nobility the kingdom had to offer. She didn't want to pity the woman; that seemed offensive, but she also didn't care to let her believe Marie wasn't a sympathetic party.

Again, she placed her things aside and approached, taking a seat at a reasonable distance from the queen to allow respectful space between them. "Forgive me, Your Grace, but it is hardly a trifling issue," she softly murmured. "The King is...was--" she stopped and bowed her head to look at her hands and think her thought through before she spoke it. "He meant a great deal to you once. And--I think--he hurt you greatly." Marie was taking liberties. She quieted again, paying close attention to the Queen and her movements. "What I mean to say, Your Majesty, is that grief is appropriate. Wanting comfort...it isn't unnatural..."

Marie allowed the silence between them to ebb and flow a little before the Queen spoke again. "How is the court reacting to the news, Lady Seymour? I would venture out myself to ascertain, though I fear my interpretation would be met with strong bias."

"Majesty, were I you, I wouldn't trouble myself with venturing out... Of course, you must appear eventually but," she paused, "it does not appear that the time for it is now." Marie watched the Queen in carefully observed silence, calculating her answer before she could speak it. "I think... I think it's come as quite a shock, to most. He seemed quite immortal in his lifetime, I suppose many believed he would never die." Of course, none of the Court would really grieve such a loss. Not like Alys would, Marie knew, because Alys had lost something and Liston had not. With a deep breath drawn and then quickly exhaled, she gave the Queen a tried look and admitted the truth. "To be quite honest I think most are...relieved."

Though she had not had the chance to speak to Robert, Marie had a hunch he might be beyond tickled over such news. Not in an embarrassing manner of course, but he would be grateful that the Lion was dead and the throne would pass to the hands of another. To the hands of a child, and for that matter, likely Isabel... "I will be praying for the security and happiness of his children and yours," she said finally. There were dark times ahead, no denying that. But in all honesty, the future of the country and the world as a whole rested in the hands of children who barely knew their sums and how to read and write just yet.

Perhaps that was the scariest part of all.
03-20-2012 04:01 PM
Thread Closed